In 1898 Lancaster Conference related groups began outreach efforts on the property now occupied by the Welsh Mountain Home. There were agricultural and industrial ventures intended to provide jobs for the community. Evangelization efforts were made through Bible studies and visitation.
In 1924 the Conference redirected its efforts toward serving the needs of the elderly. A nursing home was established. In 1938 the Welsh Mountain Mennonite Church began under separate leadership from the Home. As building requirements became more restrictive, the Intermediate Care facility licensing was dropped and licensure as a personal Care Boarding Home under the Pennsylvania State Department of Public Welfare was obtained in 1980. The six supporting Bishops appointed a Board of Directors to guide the program.